Since 1887, Mojave Cemetery has been performing burials in the historic town of Mojave, California. The District has had several Managers through the years. Most notably is Nellie Murphy, hired in June 1973. She is credited with investigating the grounds & scattered records and creating the maps that we currently use today. Mojave was officially established by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1886 and served as an early transportation hub with its plentiful gold mining, railroad and wagon routes, including the 1884 Twenty Mule Team Borax Wagon route.
On March 11, 1940, Mojave Cemetery was deemed the Mojave Public Cemetery District by the Kern County Board of Supervisors. The district hired its first full-time employee, Nellie Murphy, on June 1, 1973, who later became the first District Manager. The district petitioned the Kern County Board of Supervisors to change the district’s name to East Kern Cemetery District when it acquired the California City Memorial Park via lease agreement. The board approved the change in February 1977.
The Mojave Cemetery is located at the east border of the Mojave Air & Space Port and has six acres for interments.